Modern watch collectors are sometimes frustrated with Rolex, which is often considered the biggest brand in the industry. The reason why is how little supply there is for their most sought-after watches. While you can get less popular models at retail prices, ones like the Rolex Daytona can get pretty tough to get your hands on. Why is that? Below, I highlight a few reasons for this phenomenon and give you some strategies for how you can deal with it.
The Rolex Daytona
Watch companies never know which models will be a hit and which won’t. Instead, they do their best with updating current styles, creating new ones, and marketing them into becoming best sellers. The Cosmograph Daytona undoubtedly made it into that category, and there are a few reasons why.
First, this watch just looks amazing. Whether you choose Oyster Steel, gold, or platinum, the aesthetics on these watches are fantastic. The primary reasons why are their classy color schemes, simple dial design, and a wonderful tachymeter on the bezel. Though other factors are important, looks make or break a watch. Luckily, the Daytona thrives in this domain.
Next, every other part of this watch is impressive as well. It has a fantastic movement, is made from excellent materials, and delivers all of the quality that you expect out of a Rolex watch. You even get 100M water resistance, which is not common in racing pieces.
Overall, the Cosmograph Daytona is one of the best timepieces on the market, and just about every collector would love to own one.
Trends are one of the more interesting things that come out of our culture, and when you’re not attuned to them, they are quite mysterious. The Daytona has reached an undeniable level of demand for a few different reasons. The first is what we discussed above. It really is an excellent watch, and the people purchasing it have justification for doing so.
The second factor here is that demand often turns into a feedback loop. It goes something like this:
- A watch company comes out with an exceptional product.
- Collectors instantly hop on board and purchase one for themselves.
- CEOs, actors, athletes, musicians, and other trendsetters take a liking to it and start to wear it out.
- The general public sees trendsetters wearing the product and decides to buy some for themselves.
- As supply runs out, more and more people want that watch. The limited number of units makes owning the timepiece exclusive, which further feeds into demand.
As you can see, the hype surrounding the Cosmograph Daytona started as 100% about the product. Now that some time has passed, though, it has a mystique surrounding it that makes it even more alluring.
Here’s the part where collectors get frustrated with Rolex. Rather than meet this high demand with a large batch of products, they produce a supply that is far too small to satisfy the consumers. Now, this is a point of contention in the watch industry. The question is:
Do they purposely limit supply, or can they honestly not keep up?
Most experts lean towards the former, though we do not know for sure. Regardless, there are not enough Daytona’s to satisfy the market, and that scarcity puts collectors into a suboptimal situation. You’ll see what I mean if you walk into a Rolex dealer and ask for a Cosmograph Daytona. Chances are the salespeople will be amused, compose themselves, pull out a multi-year waitlist, and wish you well. That’s a lousy position to be in, but what can you do about it?
How to Purchase One
There are three primary ways in which you can purchase a Cosmograph Daytona. They are as follows.
- Know Somebody – Any famous or deeply powerful person can get their hands on a Daytona. The reason is that they have status to throw around. The odds are that their position in society will get them to the top of wait lists without putting in much effort. The only way you can utilize this option is if you have a close relationship with a dealer.
- Get in Line – You can go to any dealer and ask to be put on their waitlist. After a certain amount of time, you’ll get to buy your Daytona at retail price. Unfortunately, that could be two years or more. Are you willing to wait that long?
- Pay a Bit More – Your last option is my favorite of them. It involves paying a bit over retail price and getting your Daytona right away. Though it isn’t perfect, it’s the best of the bunch.
Like many collectors out there, you might fall in love with the Rolex Daytona and decide that you must have it. In that case, you will now know why it is a great watch, what makes it so expensive, and how you can get one anyways. No matter which path you choose, this legendary timepiece should meet your expectations.