Rolex Pepsi vs. Tudor Pepsi
The first thing we should go over is what a “Pepsi” is. This nickname refers to GMT watches that have a blue and red bezel. Though some use it to describe all timepieces of this type, most only do in the context of Rolex and Tudor. These watches are both highly sought after in the collector community due to the craftsmanship and aesthetics that they offer. Purchasing one of them is an easy decision, but the hard part comes when you have to choose between them. I provide some guidance in the following passages.
Tudor and Rolex’s Relationship
Tudor is often referred to as Rolex’s “little brother.” The reason is that both companies have the same founder, Hans Wilsdorf. He started Rolex in the early 1900s, and after a few decades of radical success, decided that he wanted to create a brand that was more accessible to mainstream consumers. The result became Tudor, which was inspired by English royalty.
Though Rolex has grown into the biggest watch brand in the world, Tudor is no slouch either. They are one of the more respected names on the market, and experts generally agree that they deliver a lot of value for their price range. Tudor’s performance has been especially high in the last 10 years, as they have expanded their marketing in the United States and come out with a variety of bestsellers.
The General Differences Between Them
Wilsdorf’s wanted to make a brand that was a lot like Rolex, but much cheaper. The areas that Tudor cuts costs in are the ones that make its big brother a special and luxurious company. Here are a few crucial differences.
- Handmade Elements – Rolex tries to use as little machinery as possible in the construction of their watches. For example, they have a person apply the indices to their dials, rather than a machine. Tudor has very few handmade elements.
- Movements – While Tudor movements are quite good, Rolex’s are generally more accurate.
- Materials – Tudor watches tend to come in a high grade of stainless steel. Rolex will either use even higher quality steel or incorporate precious metals.
- Craftsmanship – The sturdiness and reliability of a watch are hard to define, but you can usually feel craftsmanship when you get a product in your hands. Rolex tends to have more versatile timepieces than Tudor.
Comparing the Pepsi From Each Brand
Now, onto the matter at hand. The Pepsi from each brand embodies the differences I described above. Tudor’s Pepsi version is quite good but doesn’t have an incredibly high level of quality. Rolex goes the extra mile in each category but has the price tag to match. One additional point to note is their appearance. The Rolex Pepsi has a modern vibe to it, as the watch is bright, on an interesting bracelet, and has a refined design. The Tudor version is a bit more vintage looking, which will be preferable to some collectors.
The Three Debates
If you’re still having trouble choosing between these two beautiful watches, then consider the three primary debates below. They get to the heart of the differences between these two products and should provide some much-needed guidance.
- Exceptionalism Vs. Value – Are you interested in getting a lot of bang for your buck? Or do you prefer to have the best watch possible, no matter the cost? When comparing these two Pepsi watches, the Tudor is definitely a better deal. That being said, collectors with massive budgets may choose the more luxurious product, and I don’t blame them.
- Retro Vs. Modern – If you purchase a Rolex Pepsi, you’re going to get noticed by a lot of people. The reason is that it is bright, colorful, and on a modern looking strap. The Tudor Pepsi is the opposite, as it is a bit more muted and looks like a watch from a different era. One style isn’t better than the other, but you might have a strong preference between them.
- Big Name Vs. Smaller Name – Lastly, you have the brands behind these two watches. Some of you will like to have the Tudor name on your wrist. While it is by no means a small company, fewer people will recognize it. Generally, it is more well known by watch enthusiasts, rather than regular people. On the other hand, Rolex is a name that almost everyone knows. The status that comes with owning one might be something that appeals to you.
All in all, the Rolex Pepsi and Tudor Pepsi are both exceptional watches. They have a high level of craftsmanship, beautiful aesthetics, and great brands behind them. Still, they have some crucial differences, one of which might sway you one way or the other. I can confidently tell you though, that there is no wrong decision here. Both are fantastic, and I’m sure you’ll be satisfied no matter which you choose.