Citizen watches gives us a unique timepiece that’s sure to satisfy both fans of Marvel movies and the comic books on which they’re based. Meet the Marvel 80th Anniversary watch.
Citizen Watches and Marvel Join Forces
But first, a quick glance back in time, as this is not Citizen’s first go-around with Marvel. At Baselworld 2018 Citizen watches unveiled its partnership with the comic titan and introduced a bold new collection that honors Spider-Man, Captain America, the Black Panther and the Avengers.
Then, at Comic-Con 2019 in New York City, Citizen watches unveiled the watch that pays tribute to Marvel’s 80-year history. Featuring a vibrant blue sunray dial imprinted with Marvel logos from across the decades, the 80th Anniversary offering is a stunning entry in the line. In a nod to the year Marvel began, 1,939 pieces were made in the limited-edition run that’s available in November 2019.
Diving Deeper into the 80th Anniversary
Taking a closer look at the commemorative watch we see a striking dial with Arabic numerals in an animation font that’s similar to those found in the pages of Marvel comic books. Adding to the high-contrast colors we’ve grown to love in the comics, the minute track positively pops in yellow and white. Red accents and a black bezel keep things in true comic-color mode.
But beyond its eye-catching looks, this watch was built for the rough-and-tumble action our Marvel superheroes are apt to encounter. It’s constructed of Super Titanium, which is forty percent lighter and five times harder than stainless steel. The watch’s hands are coated by luminescence that glows brightly in low light, powerful enough to guide any Avenger through the dark of night.
Flip it over to find a case back that honors Marvel’s longevity with an engagement marking 80 years of super-hero adventures. A complementing silver-tone titanium bracelet completes the classic look of the watch.
It’s also got some serious operational power, functioning with Citizen’s signature Eco-Drive, powered by any light source and never in need of a battery. While your wear may vary, you can count on the watch going strong for about ten years before you’ll need to replace the depleted solar cells.
A New Homage to Spider-Man
In conjunction with the 80th Anniversary watch, Citizen watches is releasing another timepiece. This one honors one of the Marvel Universe’s favorite sons. The new limited-edition Spider-Man watch goes for a really retro vibe with black-and-white comics across the dial, giving the watch an overall casual and even somewhat whimsical feel. They’re not just random images, but rather greyscale versions of classic comic book covers. A full-color Spider-Man in action jumps out from the face, the red from his famous Spidey suit matched by robust red hands. There are also notes of Spider-Man’s signature red with the contrast stitching on its black leather strap.
Citizen watches only produced a run of 1,962 pieces, which (you guessed it) marks the year that the friendly neighborhood crimefighter made his debut on the pages of Marvel comics.
Watches in the Marvel World
The Marvel Cinematic Universe isn’t limited to Citizen watches. With stars of the film franchise sporting a variety of luxury timepieces both on and off-screen. Let’s take a look at their amazing watches.
- Robert Downey, Jr. We met Robert’s alter ego, billionaire “Tony Stark,” in Spider-Man Homecoming when he was brandishing a big, flashy Urwerk UR-110 RG. Tony exuded vintage style in his first Iron Man with a BVLGARI Retrograde Day-Date Moonphase and next strapped on a Jaeger LeCoultre AMVOX III Tourbillon GMT for his second outing as the man in the high-tech suit of armor.
- Mark Ruffalo. Of course Bruce Banner can’t wear a watch. Not even the strongest titanium bracelet would withstand the pressure when Bruce balloons up into the Hulk. (We’re amazed the pants stay on — maybe they’re some kind of super-stretchy pants?). But star Mark Ruffalo isn’t shy about celebrating his Frederique Constant Hybrid Manufacture offscreen. To be fair, with Swiss movement and smartphone features, the Hybrid Manufacture more than deserves the gushing praise.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Robert Downey Jr. Official (@robertdowneyjr) on Sep 3, 2018 at 11:32pm PDT
- Chris Hemsworth. As a TAG Heuer ambassador, the Australian actor who plays Thor has had some seriously nice watches on his wrist. A favorite we’ve seen him wear more than once is a TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre Heuer 01.
- Benedict Cumberbatch. In the movie Doctor Strange, Cumberbatch’s cherished timepiece is a white-gold Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra-Thin Perpetual.
- Chris Evans. Offscreen the star of Captain America wears an IWC Portugieser Chronograph.
- Don Cheadle. The man who plays War Machine has been spotted wearing a Patek Philippe Nautilus Reference 5711, and an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.
- Chris Pratt. The Guardians of the Galaxy star favors Cartier, flashing a Cartier Calibre de Cartier Chronograph, Calibre de Cartier Diver and a Santos de Cartier.
Citizen Watches and Marvel Conclusion
Spider-Man continually ranks as one of the favorites when it comes to Marvel movies. So chances are you’ll want to put the web-slinger on your wrist. But perhaps you champion the entire universe, from Wolverine and Captain America to Iron Man and, yes, even Ant-Man. If you want to celebrate all things Marvel, there may be no better way than with an 80th Anniversary timepiece.